Sunday, May 30, 2010

Stage Two - Time Trial pains

Today's time trial was an event I was looking forward to. Generally when people detest time trials - I love 'em. The Race of Truth as they call it.

Anyhow, today was exciting. The course was challenging. A 10km slightly uphill start followed by 7km of rolling course. The headwind total was out of control on the last 7km. I misjudged my plan, going into the race I wanted to go strong for the first half (leave it all out on the hill) and then hold it steady for the last 7km (which seemed mostly downhill).

The headwind changed everything today - it was all I could do to survive after yesterday's tough effort.

The first part went super fast and before I knew it I was on the flat stretch. This is where I bonked. The headwind just about killed me...

All in all I was tired today. Day 2 of the 3 day stage race. I pushed as hard as I could. I think my time was alright compared to the 17.6km time trial I do with the Oakville Cycling Club.

I am pretty nervous about stage 3 - it looks like there are three 10km climbs. I am excited to be here racing and getting some amazing training in while doing so. Tomorrow's race I will race hard, try to stay with the pack as long as I can and then push hard right to the top of the mountain!

Stay tuned for the grand finale!

No comments:

Post a Comment