Saturday, May 29, 2010

Killington Stage Race: Pre-race!















A few weeks ago I registered myself for the Killington Stage Race May 29, 30 and 31. I got a lot of strange reactions from people - mostly "Why are you doing that race?"

A lot of the reactions were followed by things like "there is a super killer climb in that race" to "those racers in Vermont are fast!" to "it's a tough, tough race."

I've never done this event. In fact, it was around in the nineties but this is the first year it's come back in ten years!!! Before it used to be a 5-day stage race during the Labour Day weekend - back in the days when Coors Light was racing. (I remember going to this race and watching my Dad do it and gushing over bumping into Roy Knickman and Alex Steida back at the condos while they unloaded their bikes!) I was a big fan and only 12 or 13 at the time...

But even though I didn't race it I knew it was a tough race - just looking at the faces of those riders climbing the final climbs - it looked heinous!

So, I guess I am here for a bunch of reasons:

The first - to challenge myself. The second - to see what happens. The third - for good training.

To be honest, I was a little intimidated at first after the reactions I got. I mean - who I am? I am really in my first season back of racing. I've only got 3 races under my belt this season so far - the Good Friday (DNF), Calabogie (45km - 2nd place) and the Niagara Classic (46km - 15th place) - plus two time trials and 4 mid-week crits. But that's it!

Training has been going very well - considering the balance of life, work, team, writing and important loved ones - I seem to be holding it altogether and adapting to this huge transition of additional miles and time devoted to racing. (And it's been a huge transition I tell you - try racing a Tuesday nighter after 11 hours at work and six hours of sleep!)

Strangely/oddly enough - I was okay that there was going to be three stages:

Stage one: 60km circuit race
Stage two: 17km time trial (mostly up hill I believe!)
Stage three: 100 km road race (1 lap)

I was intimidated again when I finally got my hands on the race technical guide four days before the race. The recommended gearing for this race was a 39x27. Check out the last stage's lap profile for the 100km route. The last 40 km are all slightly uphill!!! Argh...


I started to freak out a little bit - I mean, I don't even have a cassette with that kind of gearing. I made a bunch of phone calls and finally a quick email to my favourite bike shop (GEARS BIKE SHOP) in Mississauga assured me they could help me out and get me all set up. It was true - ordering a cassette like this in a flat-area like Ontario (well, flat compared to Vermont) turned out to be more of a challenge - especially with all of this good weather - supplies are high in demand and low in quantities!

So - despite all these fears and obstacles, somehow I have managed to get myself to Killington, Vermont on Friday May 27 in 9 hours from the Toronto area (left at 8:15 arrived around 5:15 or so...).

I made it to registration. I went grocery shopping with my Mom, we drove the first stage's course and drove home on the final climb for Monday's race. We made my favourite pre-race dinner (Spaghetti!) and got to bed at a decent hour.

I was pretty nervous Friday night - but I was also excited...who knew what the weekend would hold? All I knew was that I was just going to do my best, believe in myself and look to the future. Everything helps you towards your next race...

Stay tuned for stage one's report...

No comments:

Post a Comment