Friday, April 2, 2010

First race of the sesaon!















Ahhh! The Good Friday Road Race! It has come and gone and the season has officially launched here in Ontario.

Well - I was definitely reminded of one thing about bike racing that I forgot: You learn something at every race - whether it's about yourself or about bike racing...

My race started off well today - but just at the second hill my chain fell off on the inside. If it fell off on the outside I would have been able to pedal it on - but it fell on the inside. I threw my hand up in the bike so everybody could ride around me - I pulled off to the side of the road and put it back on. I jumped back on my bike and chased the group...and chased, and chased!

Oh - how frustrating - I can't believe it. I chased for 10km - the pack in sight but slowly pulling away - I just couldn't get back on.

I pulled out of the race after one lap (18.5km). I was devastated. My gears were skipping, I was bummed - I felt so good on that first hill - I felt sooooo good! Now I will never know how it would turn out...

So - I pulled out. This is the worst. I absolutely don't recommend this. In fact, it's not like me. I usually never quit. But I did today. I pulled out - and it was all ego - I hate to admit it. I was so devastated that I got a mechanical that I just couldn't finish. I let my head talk take over - and that was it...

What did I learn, you ask? Or rather, what did I remember/relearn?

I learned that it's not about anyone else but myself. It's about me and the bike. It's about not giving up - ever! It's about trying...It's about going out there and giving your best...

So yes, I'm disappointed - but there is a long season ahead --> Onwards!

1 comment:

  1. I agree....finish..unless you are missing a limb...for yourself. Who cares how you place. At the end of the day the ONLY person who cares or notices...and remembers by the next morning.. IS YOU.

    ReplyDelete